Brian Boonstra serves as the chair of one of the firm's two departments, which focuses on finance, mergers and acquisitions, and transactions, and is a member of the Executive Committee. He advises public and private companies, including private equity funds, on a wide variety of M&A and finance transactions. Mr. Boonstra also represents public companies and their boards of directors on securities disclosure and compliance issues, executive compensation, and general corporate counseling. His clients operate in a variety of industries, such as oil and gas, mining, real estate development, technology, and financial services.
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Boonstra served as a law clerk for Justice Nancy Rice of the Colorado Supreme Court.
He currently serves as secretary of the board of directors for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado and is a member of the board of directors for Peak to Peak Charter School.
- Chambers USA, “Leader in Their Field” Corporate/M&A (Colorado), 2013-2021
- Chambers USA, “Leader in Their Field” Natural Resources & Energy (Colorado), 2019-2021
- The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law & Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2019-2022
- Denver Business Journal, Who’s Who in Energy, 2019
- Colorado Super Lawyer, 2019-2020
- Colorado Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Mergers and Acquisitions, 2013-2016
- M&A Advisor, Emerging Leader, 2016
Experience & Recent Transactions
- Represented Kinross Gold Corporation in connection with its acquisition of a 70% interest in the Peak Gold project in Alaska from Royal Gold, Inc. and Contango ORE, Inc.
- Represented a large family office in the sale of a regional provider of waste and recycling services to Waste Connections.
- Represented a private-equity backed oil and gas company in the sale of substantially all of its assets under Section 363 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented a publicly-traded international mining company in the sale of a minority ownership interest to Luxembourg-based investment fund.
- Represented a large family office in its acquisition of a controlling interest in a provider of engineering and construction services to the wireless telecommunications industry.
- Represented Pershing Gold Corporation (PGLC) in its sale to Americas Silver Corporation (USAS).
- Represented Encana Corp. in various transactions, including the sale of oil and gas assets in the Piceance Basin in Northwestern Colorado
($735 million), the Denver-Julesburg Basin ($900 million), and the San Juan Basin.
- Represented a large Denver-based independent energy company in its approximately $350 million acquisition of operating oil and gas assets in the Permian Basin from a private seller.
- Represented a Texas-based owner of wastewater disposal wells in its sale to a publicly-traded buyer for an excess of $100 million.
- Represented Earthstone Energy in connection with its business combination with Oak Valley Resources LLC.
- Represented Policy Studies Inc., a government health and human services provider, in connection with its sale to MAXIMUS Inc.
- Represented Gary-Williams Energy Corporation, an independent refining company, in its $600 million sale of the company to CVR Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CVI).
- Represented Golden Minerals Company (AUMN) in a $350 million stock and cash “merger of equals” with ECU Silver Mining Inc., a silver mining company with operations in the Velardeña mining district in Mexico.