Brian Boonstra is a partner in the firm’s Finance & Acquisitions Department. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, financings, and public securities offerings in a broad range of industries including energy, mining, financial services, health care, and technology. Mr. Boonstra also counsels public companies, including several non-U.S. issuers, on securities compliance and disclosure issues, including executive compensation and corporate governance matters. Mr. Boonstra has an undergraduate degree in accounting, which enables him to better understand the complex financial and accounting issues facing his clients.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Mr. Boonstra represents private equity funds and public and private companies with negotiating, structuring, and completing mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and recapitalizations of all types. He has particular experience in the energy and mining industries, having completed numerous transactions involving assets and operations both in the U.S. and overseas.
Financing and Securities
Mr. Boonstra advises public and private companies with capital raising and financing transactions, including public offerings, PIPEs, private placements, and senior and subordinated debt financings.
Mr. Boonstra has significant experience representing clients in international capital raising transactions. He regularly counsels domestic clients who are listed on non-U.S. securities exchanges and serves as U.S. counsel on offerings occurring outside of the U.S. He has advised numerous Canadian issuers with private and public capital raising transactions in the U.S.
Education, Awards, and Community Involvement
University of Colorado, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2002
Calvin College, B.S., 1998
Mr. Boonstra graduated from the University of Colorado School of Law and earned the Order of the Coif, an honor accorded to graduates ranking in the top 10 percent of the class. Following graduation, he served as a law clerk to Justice Nancy Rice of the Colorado Supreme Court.
Mr. Boonstra has been recognized by M&A Advisor as an Emerging Leaders in the Legal Advisor Category. Mr. Boonstra was selected for inclusion in the 2013-2015 Colorado Rising Stars list by Thomson Reuters and was named a 2013 “Leader in Their Field” in the area of Corporate/M&A by Chambers USA. Mr. Boonstra serves on the advisory board of ACE Scholarships, a Colorado non-profit focused on low-income scholarships and school choice programs, and on the Board of Directors for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Colorado.
Representative M&A Transactions
- Represented Forest Oil Corporation in connection with its approximately $1.0 billion sale of oil and gas assets located in the Texas Panhandle region to a private equity backed buyer (2013)
- Represented a large Denver-based independent energy company in its approximately $350 million acquisition of operating oil and gas assets in the Permian basin from a private seller (2013)
- Represented a Texas-based owner of wastewater disposal wells in its sale to a publicly-traded buyer for an excess of $100 million (2013)
- Represented Policy Studies Inc., a government health and human services provider, in connection with its $67 million sale to MAXIMUS Inc. (2012)
- Represented a publicly traded coal mining company in connection with its approximately $200 million acquisition of an operating coal mine in Wyoming (2012)
- Represented Gary-Williams Energy Corporation, an independent refining company with more than 70,000 barrels per day of processing capacity, in a $600 million sale of the company to CVR Energy, Inc. (NYSE:CVI), in an all-cash transaction (2011)
- Represented Golden Minerals Company in a $350 million stock and cash “merger of equals” with ECU Silver Mining Inc. (TSX: ECU), a silver mining company with operations in the Velardeña mining district in Mexico (2011)