David Holman is a partner in the Trial Department of Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP and represents clients in natural resources litigation, white collar and securities investigations and litigation, and general business litigation. By crafting fact and expert strategies, Mr. Holman positions complex, high-stakes cases for successful resolution through favorable settlement, dispositive motions, or trial or arbitration. Mr. Holman has extensive trial and discovery experience, including examinations of key fact and expert witnesses and oral advocacy.
Before joining DGS, Mr. Holman was an associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Washington, D.C. Directly after law school, Mr. Holman clerked for Judge Paul J. Kelly on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Santa Fe, New Mexico. During law school, Mr. Holman interned for Judge Richard J. Leon of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Mr. Holman is admitted to practice in Colorado and Montana and before the U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado, the District of Montana, and the District of North Dakota, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Tenth, and Federal Circuits. Mr. Holman is a member of the Colorado Bar Association, the Denver Bar Association, and the William E. Doyle Inn of Court.
Mr. Holman serves on the Advisory Building Committee of the St. Mary Catholic Church in Littleton. He is also involved in various initiatives in Catholic education.
Trial & Arbitration
- Obtained arbitration award for international mining company against engineering firm in breach of contract dispute arising from construction and design of a mill. Mr. Holman served as second chair for three-week arbitration hearing.
- Obtained complete defense verdict for automotive component part manufacturer in products liability dispute after jury trial in Colorado state court. Mr. Holman served as second chair for two-week trial.
- Obtained arbitration award for exploration and production company in royalty dispute under Colorado law. Mr. Holman served as second chair for three-day arbitration hearing.
Natural Resources Litigation
- Counsel to exploration and production company in contract dispute with midstream company under Colorado law.
- Counsel to exploration and production company in various lease cancellation lawsuits alleging that wells are not producing in paying quantities.
- Obtained summary judgment for exploration and production company in royalty dispute in Wyoming state court.
- Counsel to exploration and production company in royalty dispute in Colorado federal court.
- Counsel in Colorado real property disputes, including foreclosure and eminent domain actions, to exploration and production company and mineral interest management company.
- Secured forum non conveniens dismissal of premises liability claims brought by dozens of former employees against North American supermajor oil company in Delaware state court.
White Collar & Securities Investigations & Litigation
- Counsel to manufacturer in defense of criminal and civil False Claims Act allegations.
- Counsel to clients responding to federal and state grand jury subpoenas.
- Obtained satisfactory resolution for investors in corporate governance and securities fraud dispute, in which Mr. Holman served as first chair for a full-day preliminary injunction hearing.
- Counsel to early-stage manufacturer in securities and fiduciary duties dispute with investor.
General Business Litigation
- Obtained dismissal of bankruptcy proceeding based on debtor’s bad faith filing.
- Obtained satisfactory resolution to breach of contract dispute on behalf of Montana manufacturer serving the oil field services industry in Montana state court.
- Obtained satisfactory resolution to breach of contract and intellectual property dispute on behalf of manufacturer in Colorado federal court.
- Successfully removed to federal court dozens of lawsuits composed of more than 3,000 plaintiffs under the “mass action” provision of the Class Action Fairness Act.
College of William & Mary, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2009
University of Chicago, M.A., 2004
Providence College, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 2003