David C. Holman
David Holman is co-chair of the Trial Department of Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP and represents clients in natural resources litigation, white collar and securities investigations and litigation, and general business litigation. By crafting fact and expert strategies, Mr. Holman positions complex, high-stakes cases for successful resolution through favorable settlement, dispositive motions, trial, or arbitration. He has extensive trial and discovery experience, including examinations of key fact and expert witnesses and oral advocacy.
Before joining DGS, Mr. Holman was an associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Washington, D.C. Directly after law school, Mr. Holman clerked for the Honorable Paul J. Kelly on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit in Santa Fe, New Mexico. During law school, Mr. Holman interned for the Honorable Richard J. Leon of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Mr. Holman is admitted to practice in Colorado and Montana and before the U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado, the District of Montana, and the District of North Dakota. In addition, he is admitted to practice before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Fourth, Tenth, and Federal Circuits. Mr. Holman is a member of the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations.
Mr. Holman serves as the secretary and a member of the board of trustees for the Chesterton Academy of Our Lady of Victory, an independent Catholic classical high school in the Denver metro area. He also serves on the Advisory Building Committee of the St. Mary Catholic Parish in Littleton.
Trials & Arbitrations
- Obtained an arbitration award for an international mining company against an engineering firm in a breach of contract dispute arising from the construction and design of a mill; served as second chair for three-week arbitration hearing.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict for an automotive component part manufacturer in a products liability dispute after jury trial in Colorado state court; served as second chair for the two-week trial.
- Obtained an arbitration award for an exploration and production company in a royalty dispute under Colorado law; served as second chair for the three-day arbitration hearing.
- Obtained a favorable verdict for an automotive component part manufacturer after a two-week jury trial in Colorado state court.
Natural Resources Litigation
- Obtained a satisfactory resolution on behalf of an exploration and production company in a contract dispute with a midstream company in arbitration under Colorado law.
- Counsel to exploration and production companies in various lease cancellation lawsuits alleging that wells are not producing in paying quantities.
- Obtained a summary judgment for an exploration and production company in royalty dispute in Wyoming state court.
- Obtained summary judgement for an exploration and production company against purported class action royalty claims in Colorado federal court.
- Counsel in Colorado real property disputes, including foreclosure and eminent domain actions, to an exploration and production company and a mineral interest management company.
- Secured a forum non conveniens dismissal of premises liability claims brought by dozens of former employees against a North American supermajor oil company in Delaware state court.
White Collar/Securities Investigations & Litigation
- Counsel to a manufacturer in defense of criminal and civil False Claims Act allegations.
- Counsel to clients defending civil and regulatory actions alleging securities law violations.
- Counsel to clients responding to federal and state grand jury subpoenas, which includes experience leading an internal investigation as part of a subpoena response.
- Obtained a satisfactory resolution for investors in a corporate governance and securities fraud dispute; Mr. Holman served as first chair for a full-day preliminary injunction hearing.
- Counsel to an early-stage manufacturer in a securities and fiduciary duties dispute with an investor.
General Business Litigation
- Obtained a dismissal of a bankruptcy proceeding based on the debtor’s bad faith filing.
- Obtained a satisfactory resolution to a breach of contract dispute on behalf of a Montana manufacturer serving the oil field services industry in Montana state court.
- Obtained a satisfactory resolution to a breach of contract and intellectual property dispute on behalf of a manufacturer in Colorado federal court.
- Successfully removed to federal court dozens of lawsuits composed of more than 3,000 plaintiffs under the “mass action” provision of the Class Action Fairness Act.
Recent Articles & Speeches
- Chapter, “Production of Documents and Electronically-Stored Information,” Discovery in Colorado (CBA/CLE, 2018 edition)
- Chapter, “Express and Implied Warranties in Construction Law,” Practitioners Guide to Colorado Construction Law (CBA/CLE, April 2018 edition)
- “Specific Personal Jurisdiction: The Unanswered Questions,” Law360, July 14, 2017
- “New Opportunities for Cost-Effective E-Discovery Under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Law Week Colorado, May 25, 2015
- Violent Crimes and Known Associates: The Residual Clause of the Armed Career Criminal Act," 43 Connecticut Law Review 209 (2010)
College of William & Mary, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2009
University of Chicago, M.A., 2004
Providence College, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 2003
Specific Personal Jurisdiction: The Unanswered Questions
Personal jurisdiction fans and the tort bar eagerly awaited the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision last month in Bristol-Myers Squibb v...Read More
Online Retailers' Supreme Court Win on State Taxation Fight May Be Short-Lived
A March 2015 United States Supreme Court case delivers a short-term victory to online retailers who do not collect sales...Read More