Ericka Houck Englert
Ericka Englert is an experienced trial attorney, representing clients in complex disputes in criminal, civil, and regulatory matters. She counsels individuals and businesses in strategizing and delivering efficient and favorable outcomes that meet client needs. Ms. Englert’s white collar and criminal defense practice includes internal investigations, compliance, and defense of individuals and businesses in allegations of financial crimes, securities fraud, tax evasion, false claims, and ethical violations. She practices in state and federal court and before regulatory and administrative agencies.
Ms. Englert’s civil practice often overlaps with her criminal defense practice, whether the matter includes parallel proceedings or the litigation of business torts and quasi-criminal disputes.
Ms. Englert has first-chaired nearly 30 jury trials, court trials, and arbitrations. Her clients include public and closely-held companies across many industries, including oil and gas, real estate, hospitality, and health services.
Prior to joining DGS, Ms. Englert was a shareholder & director with Lewis, Bess, Williams & Weese P.C. She has worked as a trial attorney for the Colorado Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, a litigation attorney at a large Denver-based firm, and a prosecutor for the City and County of Denver.
Ms. Englert clerked for Justice Michael Bender on the Colorado Supreme Court. She is a member of the American, Colorado, Denver, and Colorado Women’s Bar Associations, as well as a member of the Thompson Marsh Inn of Court and Dartmouth Lawyers Association. She has also been selected for inclusion in Colorado Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters and was named in the “Top 50 Women: 2017 and 2018” by Colorado Super Lawyers.
Before attending law school, Ms. Englert taught wilderness and leadership skills with the National Outdoor Leadership School in Lander, Wyoming.
- Represented a bank on allegations of improper handling of financial instruments, resulting in a favorable settlement and criminal charges against the embezzler.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict after a seven-day trial for a plaintiff oil and gas company on claims of conversion of oil in Kern County, California.
- Represented various banks on claims of mortgage fraud.
- After a 10-day arbitration, obtained specific performance for an oil and gas company's exercise of option contract to purchase assets in Southern California.
- Represented a highway construction company on state-brought allegations of false claims, resulting in no charges to the client.
- Represented an oil and gas company in a favorable settlement on claims of fraud related to a land swap.
- Represented respondent attorneys on claims of conflicts of interest in a real estate venture before the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel, resulting in a dismissal of claims.
- Women’s White Collar Defense Association, Colorado Chapter Co-Chair (2018)
- Colorado Criminal Defense Bar (2017-present)
- National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers (2016-present)
- Participant, CACI EXECs Advocacy Class (2017)
- Coors National Western Art Show, Committee Member (2014-present)
- Colorado Women's Bar Association, Judicial Nominating Committee Co-Chair (2013-2014) and Publications Committee Co-Chair (2011-2013)
- Colorado Youth Matter, Board Chair (2009-2013)
- Graduate, Impact Denver, Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce (2012)
- Graduate, Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (2010)
- CultureHaus, Board Member (2007-2009)
- Colorado Supreme Court Jury Reform Committee (2006-2009)
Publications & Presentations
- Co-author, Chapter on Conversion, "Colorado Civil Claims: Elements, Defenses, and Sample Pleadings," (Forthcoming)
- Lecturer, "Ethical Issues for Attorneys on Nonprofit Boards," Colorado Bar Association (May 2012 and December 2016)
- Co-author, "The Rules of Professional Conduct: An Equal Opportunity for Ethical Pitfalls," The Colorado Lawyer (October 2012)
University of Colorado Law School, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2001
Dartmouth College, A.B., 1994
Twenty-Three DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars
Twenty-three Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2019 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars. The listing...Read More
Thirty-Two DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-two Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2018 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
Thirty-Five DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-five Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More