Greg Nibert, Jr. is an associate in the Natural Resources Department and Oil & Gas Group of Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP. His practice is focused on state and federal regulatory counseling as well as operational issues in oil and gas exploration and development. Licensed to practice law in Colorado and Wyoming, Mr. Nibert regularly represents clients in various oil and gas commission matters, including applications for spacing, increased density, and pooling, permitting and well siting matters, environmental, health, and safety-related enforcement actions, and administrative rulemakings.
Mr. Nibert also has experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of oilfield agreements, such as leases, surface use agreements, joint operating agreements, and regulatory compliance agreements. He counsels oil and gas companies on various regulatory issues in all phases of exploration and development on private and public lands.
Mr. Nibert is a frequent publisher and speaker on various oil and gas law topics, including state and local regulation of oil and gas, spacing and pooling, and hydraulic fracturing. In addition, he is the author of the Federal Onshore, Arizona and New Mexico chapters of the national oil and gas law treatise, “Hydraulic Fracturing Law and Practice”.
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Nibert practiced with a Denver-based energy firm and served as a summer clerk for the Honorable Bobby R. Baldock of the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Originally from Roswell, New Mexico, Mr. Nibert loves University of New Mexico Lobo Basketball and authentic New Mexican food. He is an Eagle Scout and a former Congressional Page. When Mr. Nibert is not working, he can be found spending time outdoors with his family and chasing trout with his fly rod.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Natural Resources, and Energy Law Section
- Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Denver Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Wyoming Bar Association, Mineral Law Section
- Represented various clients in over 500 spacing, pooling, utilization, and other hearings before the COGCC in all basins.
- Represented oil and gas companies and industry trade associations in numerous multi-day rulemaking hearings before the COGCC.
- Establishing new oil and gas facility setback distances from schools and childcare centers.
- Implementing changes to statutory pooling and COGCC processes.
- Establishing statewide standards, safeguards, and criteria for flowlines, and other midstream infrastructure.
- Creating regulatory safeguards in the development of large scale oil and gas facilities located near urban areas.
- Successfully negotiated over $9 million in well election rights for a DJ Basin non-operator in a multi-well development program.
- Negotiated a settlement between a surface owner, COGCC enforcement staff and a San Juan Basin operator concerning decades old reclamation issues.
- Defended a DJ Basin operator against the enforcement of alleged groundwater contamination violations with penalties in excess of $200,000.
- Defended a small DJ Basin operator against enforcement of alleged well integrity violations with penalties in excess of $150,000.
- Secured a settlement of an enforcement of alleged field wide air quality violations for a small-independent San Juan Basin operator.
- Assisted a large-independent operator in settling over $400,000 in the disputed payment of proceeds.
- Assisted DJ Basin and West Slope operators in multi-day rulemaking hearings before the COGCC to establish statewide standards, safeguards, and criteria for flowlines and other midstream infrastructure.
- Assisted a national oil and gas trade association in multi-day rulemaking hearings before the COGCC impacting the development of large scale facilities located near urban areas.
Recent Articles & Presentations
- “Regulatory Framework and Associated Issues Concerning Produced Water” RMMLF Special Institute: The Law of Fracking, January 2019, Co-author and presenter with Dave Neslin
- "Colorado Supreme Court Issues Decision in Martinez v. COGCC" January 2019, Co-author with Dave Neslin
- “Colorado’s New Flowline Rules” February 2018, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Hydraulic Fracturing Law and Practice” Federal Onshore, Arizona and New Mexico Chapters, LexisNexis, October 2017
- “COGCC's Flowline Notice to Operators” May 2017, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Rocky Mountain Regulatory: Oil and Gas Commissions and Why They Matter” November 2016, National Association of Division Order Analysts
- “Federal Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing” 29th Annual Energy Law Institute, Houston College of Law, August 2016
- “Governor’s Task Force Implications” February 2016, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Pooling – Colorado Perspective” American Association of Professional Landmen Pooling Seminar, May 2014, September 2015, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin
- “Involuntary Pooling in Colorado,” Denver Association of Lease and Title Analysts 2014 Spring Seminar, May 2014, Co-presenter with Matt Hartford
- “Regulatory Tug-O-War: Local Governments Efforts to Regulate Oil and Gas Development.” RMMLF Special Institute: Air Quality Issues Affecting Oil, Gas and Mining Development in the West, February 2013 Co-author with Ken Wonstolen
- “Could These be the Most Stringent Rules in the Nation? YES! An overview of COGCC Groundwater Sampling and Setback Rulemakings.” Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen Newsletter, February 2013
Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., 2012
University of New Mexico, B.A., 2008
Colorado Supreme Court Issues Decision in Martinez v. COGCC
On January 14, 2019, the Colorado Supreme Court issued its decision in Martinez v. Colo. Oil & Gas Conservation Comm’n...Read More
COGCC Issues Statewide Flowline and Pipeline Notice to Operators
On May 2, 2017, the Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission (“COGCC”) issued a Notice to Operators (“NTO”) regarding the...Read More