Greg Nibert, Jr. is an associate in the Natural
Resources Department and Oil & Gas Group of Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP. His
practice is focused on operational issues in oil and gas exploration and
development, as well as local, state, and federal permitting, and regulatory
counseling. Licensed to practice law in Colorado and Wyoming, Mr. Nibert regularly
represents clients in various oil and gas commission matters including
applications for spacing, increased density, and pooling, permitting and well
siting matters, and environmental, health, and safety-related enforcement
Mr. Nibert also has experience drafting and negotiating a
broad range of oilfield agreements including leases, surface use agreements,
joint operating agreements, compliance agreements, and well elections. He counsels oil and gas
companies on various regulatory issues in all
phases of oil and gas exploration and development on private and public
Mr. Nibert is a frequent publisher and speaker on
various oil and gas law topics including, state and local regulation of oil and
gas, spacing and pooling, and hydraulic fracturing. In addition, he is the
author of the Federal Onshore,
Arizona, and New Mexico chapters of the national oil and gas law treatise, “Hydraulic
Fracturing Law and Practice.”
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Nibert practiced with a
Denver-based energy firm and served as a summer clerk for the Honorable Bobby
R. Baldock, Judge for the U.S. Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Originally from Roswell, New Mexico, Mr. Nibert loves
University of New Mexico Lobo Basketball and authentic New Mexican food. He is an Eagle Scout and a former
Congressional Page. When Mr. Nibert is
not working, he can be found spending time with his family and chasing trout
with his fly rod.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Association of Professional Landmen
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Natural Resources, and Energy Law Section
- Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Denver Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Wyoming Bar Association, Mineral Law Section
- Represented various clients in over 500 spacing, pooling, unitization and other hearings before the COGCC in all basins.
- Successfully negotiated over $9 million in well election rights for a DJ Basin non-operator in a multi-well development program.
- Defended a DJ Basin operator against enforcement of alleged groundwater contamination violations with penalties in excess of $200,000.
- Defended a small DJ Basin operator against enforcement of alleged well integrity violations with penalties in excess of $150,000.
- Secured settlement of an enforcement of alleged field wide air quality violations for a small-independent San Juan Basin operator.
- Assisted a large-independent operator in settling over $400,000 in disputed payment of proceeds.
- Assisted DJ Basin and West Slope operators in multi-day rulemaking hearings before the COGCC to establish statewide standards, safeguards, and criteria for flowlines and other midstream infrastructure.
- Assisted a national oil and gas trade association in multi-day rulemaking hearings before the COGCC impacting the development of large scale facilities located near urban areas.
Recent Articles & Presentations
- “Colorado’s New Flowline Rules” February 2018, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Hydraulic Fracturing Law and Practice” Federal Onshore, Arizona and New Mexico Chapters, LexisNexis, October 2017
- “COGCC's Flowline Notice to Operators” May 2017, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Rocky Mountain Regulatory: Oil and Gas Commissions and Why They Matter” November 2016, National Association of Division Order Analysts
- “Federal Regulation of Hydraulic Fracturing” 29th Annual Energy Law Institute, Houston College of Law, August 2016
- “Governor’s Task Force Implications” February 2016, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin and John Jacus
- “Pooling – Colorado Perspective” American Association of Professional Landmen Pooling Seminar, May 2014, September 2015, Co-presenter with Dave Neslin
- “Involuntary Pooling in Colorado,” Denver Association of Lease and Title Analysts 2014 Spring Seminar, May 2014, Co-presenter with Matt Hartford
- “Regulatory Tug-O-War: Local Governments Efforts to Regulate Oil and Gas Development.” Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Air Quality Issues Affecting Oil, Gas and Mining Development in the West, February 2013 Co-author with Ken Wonstolen
- “Could These be the Most Stringent Rules in the Nation? YES! An overview of COGCC Groundwater Sampling and Setback Rulemakings.” Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen Newsletter, February 2013
Valparaiso University School of Law, J.D., 2012
University of New Mexico, B.A., 2008