John A. Francis practices antitrust and health care litigation and counseling as well as First Amendment, media, and telecommunications law.
Mr. Francis successfully has represented antitrust clients in monopolization, price fixing, tying, dealer termination, group boycott, price discrimination, and other matters in a variety of industries, including hospital and health care, cable television, newspaper, telecommunications, rock concerts, beer, heating and air conditioning, petroleum, and waste disposal. He has litigated for both defendants and plaintiffs.
His related health care practice has focused primarily on representing hospitals in antitrust, medical staff, peer review, HIPAA, payment, collections, fraud and abuse, and commercial litigation matters. He counsels hospitals and other providers on joint venture formation, managed care contracting, HIPAA compliance, and other health care operational issues.
For several years, Mr. Francis has taught the Antitrust Law and Policy course as an adjunct professor at the University of Colorado Law School in Boulder. Before that, he spent a significant amount of time “on loan” from DGS to the in-house legal department of a large client to handle antitrust matters there. From 1997 through 2004, he served as the DGS Pro Bono Legal Services Coordinator.
Community Service and Honors
- Adjunct Professor of Antitrust Law, University of Colorado Law School, 2005 to 2011
- DGS Pro Bono Coordinator, 1997-2004
- Colorado Lawyers Committee Executive Committee and Board of Directors, 2001-2003
- Colorado Super Lawyer, 2007-2011, Thomson Reuters
- Best Lawyers in America®, Antitrust, Healthcare, and Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in America®, Lawyer of the Year, Antitrust Law
- Barrister's Best for Colorado's Best Healthcare Lawyer, Law Week Colorado, 2012
- 5280 Top Lawyers, Antitrust (2015-2017)
- Successful defense of large hospital system against monopolization and tying claims
- Prosecution of rock concert monopolization case against media conglomerate to a satisfactory settlement
- Dismissal of monopolization case on behalf of one of South America’s largest oil companies
- Currently handling a variety of litigation matters for various hospital clients pertaining to medical staff issues, peer review, fraud and abuse, and HIPAA
University of Michigan, J.D., 1988
University of Colorado, B.A., summa cum laude, 1985