John McCabe has concentrated his practice on domestic and international business acquisitions and debt financings, particularly in the cable television, financial services, natural resources, and wholesale distribution industries. Mr. McCabe also has extensive experience in Uniform Commercial Code and other commercial and consumer law matters.
Mr. McCabe has also served as lead counsel in a variety of transactions involving, among other things, acquisitions and joint ventures in the telecommunication industry; debt financings, acquisitions, and dispositions in the mining and oil and gas industries; franchising transactions in the retail industry; and general corporate counseling to a wide variety of startup and established businesses in the high tech, distribution, professional services, and bank credit card industries.
Mr. McCabe is a member of the Colorado Secretary of State’s Business Advisory Committee and served for eight years as the business appointee of the Governor of the State of Colorado to the Colorado Commission on Consumer Credit. He is a past chairman of the Commercial Law Division of the Business Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association and was co-chairman of the Colorado Bar Association Ad Hoc Committee on Revised Article 9 of the UCC. Mr. McCabe has been named in The Best Lawyers in America® every year since 1993 and has been selected for inclusion in Colorado Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters in 2012 & 2013.
Harvard University, LL.B., 1966
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1963
Representative Transactions Include the Following:
- The sale by Jones Intercable, Inc. to Bell Canada International Inc. of a 30 percent interest in the company and the follow-on sale of the company to Comcast
- The negotiation on behalf of a regional telephone company of a joint venture with the predecessor of Nextel Communications to develop an alternative cellular delivery system
- Representation of Nu-West Industries, Inc., an Idaho-based phosphate fertilizer manufacturer, in a series of major debt financings with Barclays Bank, G.E. Capital and Bank Indosuez and the eventual auction and sale of this publicly-traded company
- New Mexico Blue Cross and Blue Shield in its acquisition by Health Care Services Corporation
- Framatome ANP’s acquisition of certain nuclear fuel handling equipment and service assets of Washington Group International