Ms. Johnson’s practice encompasses all aspects of acquiring, financing, entitling, developing, leasing, selling, and operating residential, commercial, and mixed-use real estate projects nationwide.
Ms. Johnson has expertise representing large and small scale developers in all phases of land use applications, hearings, and appeals. She has successfully appealed to state courts for reversal of planning and zoning board decisions. Ms. Johnson also has extensive experience closing multi-million dollar residential, commercial, and office space transactions in several states. She is part of the Empowerment Council for the Women’s Foundation of Colorado.
Prior to joining DGS, Ms. Johnson was an associate for many years at a national law firm’s New Jersey office. While there, her practice focused on land use, zoning, related prerogative writs litigation between developers and municipalities, and real estate finance. Ms. Johnson was a law clerk at a California-based compliance and legal services firm serving investment advisers and broker dealers and was also an intern at NBC News and Late Night with Conan O’Brien in New York City.
- Transactional work for commercial and residential property acquisitions, dispositions, title issues, and leasing
- Applications to government entities for construction and environmental permits, land use approvals, variances, and related litigation
- Real estate finance, including negotiating high value mortgage and security agreements for lenders and borrowers
- Local property tax appeals, redevelopment agreements, and tax abatements
- Related corporate issues including preparing term sheets and contracts, organizational documents, and regulatory reviews and filings for nonprofit, gaming, hospitality, and developer clients
- Represented two redeveloper entities formed for the $9 million acquisition and redevelopment of a hotel and convention center to be converted into 184 multi-family affordable housing units.
- Represented a regional developer in connection with the negotiation and sale of a tenant occupied 64-unit multi-family apartment complex for $4.6 million.
- Represented a subsidiary of a private independent community bank in connection with its acquisition by deed in lieu of foreclosure of 68 units of an age restricted townhome community, and the buyback of 18 units from homeowners for more than $1 million.
- Represented a redeveloper in the redemption of a tax sale certificate via intervention in a foreclosure action, and the subsequent resolution of title issues necessary to obtain clear title to the property for redevelopment.
- Represented origination counsel to savings bank subsidiary of a publicly traded New York based financial institution in connection with hundreds of commercial mortgage and mezzanine loans ranging from $500,000 to $130 million, secured by multi-family, commercial, and office properties in the Northeast.
- Represented a sponsor in connection with its zoning application to convert a failed age-restricted townhome development into market rate and affordable townhomes, and the successful appeal in New Jersey Superior Court of the municipality’s denial of the zoning application.
- Represented a national developer in connection with its ground lease, development, and construction financing of a hotel for a leading hospitality company.
- Represented numerous developers in successful prerogative writs appeals of a municipality’s denial or subsequent revocation of site plan and variance approvals in state appellate courts.
- Represented a contract-purchaser redeveloper in the successful defense of multiple lawsuits brought by an adjacent landowner seeking title to the redevelopment properties containing a valuable waterfront warehouse.
- Represented a leading gaming and hospitality operator in connection with the successful multi-year property tax appeal resulting in a $64 million judgment in favor of the operator.
- Represented casino and racetrack owners and operators, gaming industry lenders, casino executives, equipment manufacturers, vendors, and suppliers in numerous licensing applications before state regulatory agencies.
- Represented a Colorado-based technology company and international gaming and hospitality company in a complex application and appeals process before a state gaming control board for approval of an online horse race betting program.
University of San Diego Law School, J.D., Order of Barristers, 2009
University of Delaware, B.A., Dean’s List, 2005