Mark Champoux helps clients resolve significant disputes arising in litigation, government enforcement, and regulatory actions in forums across the country. He rejoined Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP in July 2020 after serving as Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the U.S. Department of Justice’s Office of Legal Policy, where he was a primary policy advisor to the Attorney General and coordinated major initiatives relating to regulations, emerging technologies, data privacy, national security, and law enforcement. Mr. Champoux also supervised DOJ’s work in supporting federal judicial nominations, personally preparing over 100 nominees for confirmation by the Senate and overseeing DOJ’s work to secure the confirmation of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh, an undertaking that earned him the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award.
Mr. Champoux has an extensive record of experience in private practice. He has successfully defended both Fortune 500 companies and small businesses, obtaining complete defense judgments through dispositive motions and trial and leveraging favorable settlements by winning key motions and defeating class certification. In recognition of his litigation work, Benchmark Litigation named Mr. Champoux to the nationwide 40 & Under Hot List in 2016-2017. Mr. Champoux was also named a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine in 2014-2017 and a “Future Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation in 2015.
Mr. Champoux’s practice includes disputes involving emerging technologies, data privacy, natural resources, oil and gas, environmental liabilities, government enforcement, and regulations. He also has substantial experience in a broad range of other litigation areas, including contracts, business torts, real estate, securities fraud, shareholder actions, civil RICO, products liability, and special districts.
Mr. Champoux has also handled numerous pro bono criminal matters, including a successful petition for certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court with subsequent reversal of conviction for an indigent criminal defendant.
Mr. Champoux received his J.D. in 2007 from Harvard Law School, where he was deputy editor-in-chief of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy, and his B.A. in 2004 from Brigham Young University, graduating
magna cum laude and as valedictorian. Before first joining DGS in 2012, Mr. Champoux was a trial attorney at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Washington, D.C. and clerked for then-Judge Neil M. Gorsuch on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Legal Policy
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Neil M. Gorsuch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
Community Involvement & Affiliations
- Federalist Society, Executive Committee of the Litigation Practice Group (2020)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado Civil Pro Bono Panel (2016-2017)
- Denver Health Foundation, Event Committees (2013-2017)
- Mile High United Way, Emerging Leaders Council (2015-2016)
- Boy Scouts of America (2012-2017)
- William E. Doyle Inn of Court, Barrister (2012-2017)
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Obtained summary judgment on all claims after extensive discovery and motions practice where a group of approximately 100 plaintiffs alleged environmental property damages from historical smelting operations.
- Obtained complete dismissal of putative class action against a large defense contractor involving claims of property damages from alleged groundwater impacts.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of oil exploration and production companies in challenging a special district’s unlawful inclusion, and subsequent taxing, of mineral interests in the district’s boundaries.
- Defended against claims for significant unpaid royalties under a mining lease, leading to successful resolution after extensive discovery of plaintiff’s key witnesses and documents.
- Defended against claims concerning allocation of environmental liabilities under an asset purchase agreement, leading to favorable arbitration judgement.
- Obtained favorable settlement after the start of trial in an oil company’s dispute with the State of California concerning an agreement to pay for the costs of cleaning up a sulfur mine.
- Obtained favorable settlement of real estate conditions claims on behalf of national grocery retailer after the court ruled on dispositive motions and discovery challenges.
- Obtained complete dismissal of securities fraud claims in putative shareholder class action against a large energy supplier.
- Obtained dismissal of civil RICO claims in large putative class action against an oil company involving allegations arising from an oil spill.
- Obtained dismissal of civil RICO and other claims in suit by the Republic of Iraq for alleged kickbacks paid by participants in the United Nations Oil-for-Food Program.
Harvard Law School, J.D., 2007
Brigham Young University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2004
Former Senior DOJ Official Mark Champoux Rejoins DGS Partnership
Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP is pleased to announce that Mark Champoux has rejoined the firm as a partner in...Read More
Thirty-Five DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-five Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
36 DGS Attorneys Recognized As Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
DENVER - MARCH 14, 2016 - Thirty-six Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2016 Colorado Super...Read More