Sam Niebrugge focuses primarily on transactional matters for the oil and gas and mining industries. In addition to his work with oil and gas and mining producers at DGS, he worked in-house for a large independent oil and gas producer located in Denver.
Mr. Niebrugge’s practice involves the drafting and negotiating of purchase and sale, development, exploration, joint operating, farmout and master services agreements as well as various other agreements in the oil and gas and mining industries. He has experience in both asset and equity transactions. He also has extensive experience preparing all forms of title opinions covering fee, state, and federal lands.
Mr. Niebrugge received his J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and was admitted into the Order of St. Ives, an honor awarded to graduates ranking in the top 10 percent of the graduating class. Mr. Niebrugge graduated from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where he earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering in mechanical engineering in 2003. He is a registered patent attorney.
He has authored several papers and spoken extensively to in-house counsel and at continuing legal education events on all matters associated with the oil and gas industry. Mr. Niebrugge was named a “Rising Star” by Colorado Super Lawyers from 2014-2018. He was also selected for inclusion in Who’s Who Legal: Energy 2015-2018.
Mr. Niebrugge is a member of the Colorado and Denver Bar Associations and the State Bar Associations of North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, and Texas. He is a founding member of the Denver Zoo’s Leadership Council. Mr. Niebrugge has volunteered for the Denver Public Schools as a substitute teacher and has been a mentor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law. He is a trustee, member of the Financial Advisory Committee and Special Institutes Committee, and the co-chair of the Oil and Gas Section for the 2018 Annual Institute for the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation (RMMLF). He is also the former chair of the RMMLF Young Professionals Committee. Within the firm, Mr. Niebrugge was previously a member of the DGS Diversity & Inclusiveness and Technology Committees.
- $1.8 billion sale of producing and non-producing assets in Wyoming
- $1.5 billion sale of producing and non-producing assets in the Delaware Basin in Texas in a combined asset and equity transaction
- $1.1 billion sale of producing and non-producing assets in North Dakota in a combined asset and equity transaction
- $1 billion transaction for the sale of producing and non-producing assets in the Anadarko Basin
- $925 million purchase and sale agreement in the Jonah Field of Wyoming
- $400 million participation agreement for the development of several federal units
- $335 million purchase and sale agreement in the Wind River and Powder River Basins of Wyoming and Garfield County, Colorado
- $330 million purchase agreement in Divide and Williams County, North Dakota
- $250 million sale of producing and nonproducing assets in Colorado
- $214 million purchase and sale agreement in the DJ Basin of Colorado
- $208 million purchase and sale agreement in Pennsylvania
University of Denver Sturm College of Law, J.D., Order of St. Ives, 2007
University of Michigan, B.S.E., 2003
Thirty-Two DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-two Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2018 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
Thirty-Five DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-five Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
36 DGS Attorneys Recognized As Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
DENVER - MARCH 14, 2016 - Thirty-six Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2016 Colorado Super...Read More
The Wyoming Supreme Court Holds that Original Parties to Oil and Gas-Related Agreements May Be Liable for Post-Assignment Breaches
Under the Wyoming Supreme Court's recent ruling in Pennaco Energy, Inc. v. KD Company LLC, 2015 WY 152 (Wyo. 2015)...Read More