Wanda J. Abel
Wanda Abel is a corporate and securities attorney, representing clients in public and private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, complex commercial agreements, financings, and joint ventures. She counsels on securities disclosure and compliance issues, as well as on general corporate and business law issues. She has served as in-house counsel for a large public company and acts as outside general counsel for many of her clients. Ms. Abel counsels boards of directors and special committees regarding corporate governance and fiduciary duties. Her intellectual property practice focuses on technology transfer and licensing, trademark and copyright registration, and software partnering and implementation agreements. Her clients have included both start-up and established companies in a broad range of industries, including bio-technology, water, agriculture, oil and gas, software, and communications.
Ms. Abel also counsels nonprofit corporations. Her work for nonprofit clients spans both the business and intellectual property aspects of her practice, including advising nonprofit corporations regarding corporate governance, establishing international affiliates, obtaining copyright and trademark protection, and licensing.
While in law school, Ms. Abel was named a Storke Scholar for outstanding academic achievement and was a recipient of the Moses Lasky Scholarship. Prior to joining Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP, Ms. Abel served as a law clerk for then Chief Justice Joseph Quinn of the Colorado Supreme Court.
- CBA Business Law Section Committee — Drafting the Colorado Business Corporation Act effective in 1994
- CBA Ad Hoc Partnership Laws Committee — Revising RUPA for enactment in Colorado as the Colorado Uniform Partnership Act (1997) and drafting related amendments to the Colorado Uniform Limited Partnership Act of 1981 and the Limited Liability Company Act
- CBA Statutory Revision Committee for Colorado Nonprofit Corporation Act — resulted in the adoption of the Colorado Revised Nonprofit Corporation Act effective in 1998
- CBA Business Corporation Act Revision Committee — Drafting revisions to the Colorado Business Corporation Act and the Colorado Corporations and Associations Act which were enacted in 2019
- CWBA Ethics presentation (1996)
- CWBA convention presentation on the Colorado Business Corporation Act (1996)
- Denver Bar Association Meet-A-Lawyer Program
- University of Denver Moot Court Board Client Counseling Competition
- American Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Colorado Bar Association
- Business Law Section and Securities Law Subsection
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Colorado Women's Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Disclosure Requirements for Exchange Act Reports and Proxy Statements
- Securities Law in a Post-Sarbanes Oxley World
- Entity Selection for New Businesses
- Colorado Revised Uniform Partnership Act
- Distributor Agreements
- International Agency Agreements
- Distinctions between Corporate Names, Trade Names, and Trademarks
- Cathy Stricklin Krendl Business Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award, 2019
- Colorado Bar Foundation Fellow
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-AVVO
Selected Community Activities
- Volunteer for the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation, including serving as coordinator of the Denver Walk for PKD for 5 years.
- Secretary of PTA at Steele Elementary School for 4 years.
- Volunteer for the Washington Park House Tour (to raise funds for Steele Elementary School), including serving as co-chair for 2 years.
- Expanding Your Horizons panelist on career options
- presentation for middle school students
University of Colorado, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1985
Indiana University, M.L.S., Beta Phi Mu, 1980
Indiana University, B.A., High Distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1979
Three Current and Former DGS Attorneys Honored with the Cathy Stricklin Krendl Business Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award
Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP is pleased to announce that DGS partner Wanda J. Abel and two former DGS attorneys...Read More
SEC Approves General Solicitation and Advertising for Accredited Investor-Only Securities Offerings: Excludes
On July 10, 2013, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC") fulfilled its Congressional mandate by adopting new rules that...Read More