Ben Strawn is a partner in the firm’s Trial Department with a practice focusing on commercial and environmental litigation. Mr. Strawn frequently represents businesses in the natural resources, engineering, and real estate industries. His experience includes representing clients before juries, courts, and arbitrators. He has represented clients in many states in the Western U.S., with recent representations in courts in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, California, North Dakota, and Texas. Recent examples of Mr. Strawn’s work include:
- Trial counsel defending an engineering company against $170 million contract and fraud allegations. The jury denied fraud and negligence claims and awarded a small fraction of claimed contract damages.
- Lead defense counsel for bench trial of breach of contract allegations against an engineering company. Court granted partial judgment as a matter of law on some claims and made minimal award on others.
- Defending a sub-contractor against construction defect allegations. In an arbitration where Mr. Strawn was lead counsel, the arbitrator assigned no liability to his client.
- Co-counsel in successful petition to overturn state agency order imposing all liability for site cleanup on former shareholder in mining company.
- Defending an international emergency medical evacuation company against wrongful death and breach of contract claims. The court granted summary judgment for the client.
- Defending breach of contract, and fraud claims related to a Superfund site. The court granted the client’s motion for judgment on the pleadings and the state supreme court affirmed on appeal.
- Special prosecutor in the Denver City Attorney’s Municipal Court Trial Advocacy Program. Mr. Strawn tried 10 cases to juries and two to the court.
Mr. Strawn also has defended several class action cases, including two recent cases where he negotiated dismissals while the cases still were in the pleadings stage. Mr. Strawn’s class-action experience includes cases regarding insurance, toxic torts, oil and gas royalties, employment, and debt collection practices.
Mr. Strawn leads DGS’s participation in the U.S. District Court for Colorado’s Civil Case Pro Bono Panel Program. In 2014 and 2016, the U.S. District Court awarded DGS the gold star for service to the pro bono panel program. Mr. Strawn serves on the board of directors for the Faculty of Federal Advocates and, in 2018, became the President Elect. For 2018-19, Mr. Strawn also will be President of the board of directors for AfricAid, Inc., a Denver based nonprofit helping to educate and empower girls and young women in Tanzania. In 2016, Mr. Strawn completed the Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce’s Impact Denver leadership and volunteering program.
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Strawn served as a law clerk to the Honorable Neil M. Gorsuch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (now an Associate Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court). Before clerking, Mr. Strawn was an associate with Paul Hastings LLP in San Francisco, California.
Mr. Strawn is admitted to practice in the state courts of Colorado, California, and Montana, as well as the federal courts for the District of Colorado, the District of North Dakota, the Northern and Central Districts of California, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit.
Mr. Strawn was recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2016-2018, and listed on Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List in 2017 and 2018.
Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
University of Oregon, B.S., 2005