Ben Strawn is a partner in the Trial Department at Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP. His practice focuses on complex commercial and environmental litigation, frequently representing businesses in the natural resources, insurance, and real estate industries. His experience includes representing clients before juries, courts, and arbitrators, with recent representations in courts in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, California, North Dakota, and Texas. Mr. Strawn has defended several class action lawsuits involving insurance, toxic torts, oil and gas royalties, employment, and debt collection practices.
Mr. Strawn shares DGS’ strong commitment to community service. He serves on the board of directors for the Faculty of Federal Advocates and was elected board president for 2019. Mr. Strawn also serves on the board of directors for AfricAid, Inc., a Denver-based nonprofit helping to educate and empower girls and young women in Tanzania. He is president of the AfricAid board for 2018-2019. In 2016, he participated in the Denver Metro Chamber Leadership Foundation Impact Denver leadership program.
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Strawn served as a law clerk to the Honorable Neil M. Gorsuch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (now an associate justice on the U.S. Supreme Court). Before clerking, he was an associate with Paul Hastings LLP in San Francisco, California.
Mr. Strawn was recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2016-2018 and listed on Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List in 2017-2019.
- Trial counsel defending an engineering company against $170 million contract, negligence, and fraud allegations. The jury denied fraud and negligence claims and awarded a small fraction of claimed contract damages.
- Lead counsel in successful preliminary injunction hearing on behalf of an insurance industry client.
- Authored successful preliminary motion to dismiss all claims in complex fraud case against real estate developer.
- Lead counsel for motion to dismiss class-wide arbitration claims against oil and gas producer.
- Lead counsel for a bench trial of breach of contract allegations against an engineering company. The court granted partial judgment as a matter of law on some claims and made a minimal award on others.
- Lead counsel in successful arbitration defense of a sub-contractor facing construction defect allegations.
- Special prosecutor in the Denver City Attorney’s Municipal Court Trial Advocacy Program. Mr. Strawn tried 10 cases to juries and two to the court.
Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
University of Oregon, B.S., 2005
Thirty-Two DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-two Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2018 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
Thirty-Five DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-five Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
36 DGS Attorneys Recognized As Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
DENVER - MARCH 14, 2016 - Thirty-six Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2016 Colorado Super...Read More