Ben Strawn is a partner in the firm’s Trial Department with a practice focusing on commercial and environmental litigation. Mr. Strawn frequently represents businesses in the natural resources, insurance, and real estate industries. His experience includes representing clients before juries, courts, and arbitrators. He has represented clients in many states in the Western U.S., with recent representations in courts in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, California, North Dakota, and Texas.
Mr. Strawn also has defended several class action cases, including one recent case in which he won a motion to dismiss and two other cases where he negotiated dismissals while the cases still were in the pleadings stage. His class action experience includes cases regarding insurance, toxic torts, oil and gas royalties, employment, and debt collection practices.
Mr. Strawn leads DGS’s participation in the U.S. District Court for Colorado’s Civil Case Pro Bono Panel Program. In 2014 and 2016, the U.S. District Court awarded DGS the gold star for service to the pro bono panel program. Mr. Strawn also serves on the Board of Directors for the Faculty of Federal Advocates and, in 2019, serves as the board president. For 2018-19, Mr. Strawn is also the president of the Board of Directors for AfricAid, Inc., a Denver-based nonprofit helping to educate and empower girls and young women in Tanzania. In 2016, he completed the Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce’s Impact Denver leadership and volunteering program.
Prior to joining DGS, Mr. Strawn served as a law clerk to the Honorable Neil M. Gorsuch, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit (now an associate justice on the U.S. Supreme Court). Before clerking, Mr. Strawn was an associate with Paul Hastings LLP in San Francisco, California.
Mr. Strawn is admitted to practice in the state courts of Colorado, California, and Montana, as well as the federal courts for the District of Colorado, the District of North Dakota, the Northern and Central Districts of California, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th and 10th Circuit.
Mr. Strawn was recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in 2016-2018 and listed on Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List in 2017-2019.
- Trial counsel defending an engineering company against $170 million contract and fraud allegations. The jury denied fraud and negligence claims and awarded a small fraction of claimed contract damages.
- Lead counsel in successful preliminary injunction hearing on behalf of an insurance industry client.
- Trial counsel for a natural resources client defending CERCLA contribution claims.
- Lead counsel for a bench trial of breach of contract allegations against an engineering company. The court granted partial judgment as a matter of law on some claims and made a minimal award on others.
- Lead counsel in successful arbitration defense of a sub-contractor facing construction defect allegations.
- Co-counsel in a successful petition to overturn a state agency order imposing all liability for the site cleanup on a former shareholder in a mining company.
- Special prosecutor in the Denver City Attorney’s Municipal Court Trial Advocacy Program. Mr. Strawn tried 10 cases to juries and two to the court.
Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2008
University of Oregon, B.S., 2005
Thirty-Two DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-two Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2018 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
Thirty-Five DGS Attorneys Recognized as Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Thirty-five Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2017 Colorado Super Lawyers or Rising Stars, which is...Read More
36 DGS Attorneys Recognized As Colorado Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
DENVER - MARCH 14, 2016 - Thirty-six Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP attorneys have been recognized as 2016 Colorado Super...Read More