Bruce D. Stocks
Bruce Stocks is a partner in the Finance & Acquisitions Department of Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP. His practice emphasizes corporate transactions involving private companies and investors, including mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, reorganizations, joint ventures, and equity and debt financings, as well as corporate governance matters.
Mr. Stocks has extensive experience representing private equity funds, fundless sponsors, and other private equity investors in investment transactions and financings, joint ventures, restructurings, and sales of portfolio companies. He also represents portfolio companies in add-on acquisitions, financings, and other transactions.
A significant portion of Mr. Stocks’ practice currently involves the hospitality industry, where he represents investors and owners, operators, and developers of hotel properties in connection with joint ventures, debt and equity financings, acquisitions, dispositions, and hotel management agreements. He currently serves as the chair of the firm’s Hospitality Group.
Mr. Stocks also has significant experience representing a major gold mining company in acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, royalties, and other commercial transactions in the U.S., Canada, South America, Australia, and Africa.
Mr. Stocks has earned the AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a “Leader in Their Field” by Chambers USA in the area of Corporate/M&A since its inception.
Mr. Stocks has also been selected for inclusion in Colorado Super Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America® in Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law. He was named by The Best Lawyers in America® as the 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” for Mergers & Acquisitions Law in Denver.
Recent Representative Transactions
- Represented Newmont Gold Corporation in the formation of Nevada Gold Mines LLC with Barrick Gold Corporation, involving substantially all of both parties' properties and operations in northern Nevada.
- Represented KSL Capital Partners in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Under Canvas, Inc.
- Represented KSL Capital Partners in its acquisition of the Camelback ski resort in Pennsylvania.
- Represented KSL Capital Partners in its acquisition of the Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort in Hollywood, Florida, for $190 million.
- Represented KSL Capital Partners in the formation of a joint venture and the joint venture's acquisition of Snowmass Base Village.
- Represented Gart Capital Partners in the sale of the Powderhorn ski resort in Colorado.
- Represented CHB Capital Partners in its sale of Logic PD, Inc., an integrated design and manufacturing firm.
- Represented Sage Hospitality and Sage Hotel Capital in connection with hotel and mixed-use hotel development joint ventures in Denver, Colorado (Denver Union Station, Halcyon Hotel in Cherry Creek, and Heyday Hotel at Z Block in lower downtown), Boulder, Colorado (Hilton Garden Inn and Embassy Suites), and Portland, Oregon (AC Portland).
- Represented Sage Hotel Capital and related funds in connection with joint ventures for the acquisition of numerous operating hotels.
- Represented Sage Hospitality Resources, LLC in the $127 million sale of The Nines Hotel in Portland, Oregon.
- Represented Newmont Mining Corporation in its acquisition of Cripple Creek & Victor Gold Mine in Colorado from AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. for $820 million plus a royalty.
- Represented Newmont Mining Corporation in the sale of Midas mine and the related ore milling facility located in Nevada to Klondex Mines for $83 million
- Represented Newmont Mining Corporation in connection with an investment by Sumitomo Corporation in Newmont's subsidiary Minera Yanacocha SrL.
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1984
Brigham Young University, B.A., 1981