James R. Henderson
Jim Henderson is a partner at Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP, where his practice focuses primarily on complex commercial litigation. Mr. Henderson has represented a diverse range of clients, from family-owned businesses to Fortune 500 companies, in matters ranging from real estate disputes, to product liability issues, to contract and warranty disputes, and employment matters. Mr. Henderson also has broad experience representing clients in oil and gas litigation matters, including royalty disputes, mechanics’ liens, quiet title actions, surface-use disputes, claims of land contamination relating to fracking and storage tank leaks, and contract disputes between producers and purchasers. Additionally, Mr. Henderson has experience in a wide variety of environmental matters, including CERCLA cost-allocation disputes, Clean Air Act citizen suits, and common-law land contamination cases.
Outside of the courtroom, Mr. Henderson serves on the Board of Directors for the Family Resource Center Association and the Associate Board for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metro Denver. He is a member of the 2021 class of the Leadership Denver program. Mr. Henderson previously served on the Mile High United Way Emerging Leaders Council Steering Committee and has been active in pro bono representation of clients, including through participation in the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado’s Civil Case Pro Bono Panel. Mr. Henderson currently serves at the DGS Pro Bono Coordinator.
Mr. Henderson is admitted to practice in the state courts of Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana, as well as the federal courts for the District of Colorado, the District of Montana, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court. Mr. Henderson was named among the “Ones to Watch” in the area of Commercial Litigation by Best Lawyers, an annual guide by publisher Woodward/White Inc.
Mr. Henderson received his J.D. from the University of Denver Sturm College of Law, where he was the senior articles editor for the Denver University Law Review, a general editor for the University of Denver Water Law Review, and a member of the Moot Court Board. In addition, he interned for the U.S. Attorney’s Office and for the Honorable Wiley Y. Daniel of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado. Mr. Henderson was also awarded a Public Interest Law Group Fellowship to work with a human rights agency in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Prior to law school, Mr. Henderson served as an associate pastor at a church in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. He also attended graduate school at Yale University, where he served as a teaching fellow in the Political Science and International Studies departments.
- Obtained a $96 million jury verdict for a natural gas production company in contract dispute, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Represented a supermajor oil company in litigation involving approximately 100 plaintiffs alleging environmental property damages from historical copper smelting operations.
- Represented a supermajor oil company in CERCLA litigation concerning the remediation of a former uranium mine site.
- Represented a well services company in litigation involving alleged environmental property damage and personal injury.
- Obtained summary judgment in oil and gas royalty class-action dispute.
- Obtained a favorable verdict in a bench trial for an oil and gas production company in a royalty and mineral ownership dispute.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a major automobile manufacturer in breach of warranty case, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an oil and gas company in a mineral ownership dispute, and successfully defended judgment on appeal.
- "Settlement Should Never Be the Only Option," National Law Journal, September 11, 2018
- "Sidestepping Preemption: Generic Drug Litigation in the Aftermath of Mensing," 63 FED'N DEF. & CORP. COUNS. 52 (2013) (with Jeffrey R. Pilkington)
University of Denver Sturm College of Law, J.D., Order of St. Ives, 2012
Yale University, M.A., 2009
Life Pacific College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2002
Jim Henderson, Sam Seiberling, and Taylor Smith Promoted to DGS Partnership
Davis Graham & Stubbs LLP is pleased to announce that Jim Henderson, Sam Seiberling, and Taylor Smith will become partners...Read More
Colorado Supreme Court Clarifies Time Requirements for Asserting Third-Party Claims in Construction Defect Litigation
A recent Colorado Supreme Court case has clarified the statutory tolling provision concerning third-party construction defect claims. In Goodman v...Read More