Mark C. Bussey’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, joint ventures, and financings and securities in a broad range of industries, including energy, mining, financial services, real estate, hospitality and technology. He also counsels public companies on securities compliance and disclosure obligations, as well as corporate governance and other general corporate matters. Mr. Bussey joined DGS after practicing for three years in the corporate department of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP in New York.
Mr. Bussey has been recognized as an Emerging Leader by The M&A Advisor.
He has also been named in The Best Lawyer in America by Woodward/White in Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity and Joint Ventures
A significant portion of Mr. Bussey’s practice involves the representation of public and private companies in connection with structuring, negotiating, and documenting mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, carve-outs, recapitalizations, and reorganizations. Mr. Bussey also has extensive experience representing private equity sponsors and other private equity investors in investment transactions and financings, including in connection with leveraged buyouts and minority investments. His practice in this area includes joint venture work, with an emphasis on structuring joint venture arrangements and negotiating limited liability company operating agreements, partnership agreements, and other forms of joint venture agreements.
Financings & Securities
Mr. Bussey advises private companies with capital raising and financing transactions, including private equity investments and senior and subordinated debt financings. He also represents publicly held companies in public offerings and private placements and counsels public companies on securities and stock exchange compliance and disclosure matters.
Mr. Bussey serves as a member of the Corporate Relations Committee of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity & Joint Ventures
- Representation of Newmont Mining Corporation, a publicly traded international mining company, in its $820 million acquisition of the Cripple Creek & Victor gold mine from AngloGold Ashanti Limited and in the $83 million sale of its Midas mine and milling operation to Klondex Mines Ltd.
- Representation of Whiting Petroleum Corporation (Whiting), a publicly traded oil and gas exploration and production company, in the $700 million sale by Whiting, GBK Investments and WBI Energy Midstream of North Dakota midstream assets to an affiliate of Tesoro Logistics
- Representation of Whiting Petroleum Corporation, a publicly traded oil and gas exploration and production company, in the $500 million sale of its Fort Berthold Indian Reservation area assets located in Dunn and McLean Counties, North Dakota to RimRock Oil & Gas
- Representation of Reliance Worldwide Corporation, a global provider of water control systems and plumbing solutions, in its $92.5 million purchase of HOLDRITE
- Representation of Waterton Global Resource Management, a private investment firm that specializes in the metals and mining sector, in the $80 million sale of its Hollister and Esmeralda mines to Klondex Mines Ltd.
- Representation of Lovell Minnick Partners, a private equity firm specializing in the financial services industry, in its acquisitions of First Allied Securities and Commercial Credit Group
- Representation of First Allied Securities, an independent broker-dealer, in its sale to RCAP Holdings
- Representation of Fox River Foods, a privately held food distributor, in its sale to Performance Food Group
- Representation of HiRel Systems, a privately held manufacturer of custom magnetics components, in its sale to Vishay Intertechnology
- Representation of Grassland Water Solutions, a privately held provider of freshwater for oil and gas exploration, its facility and water rights acquisitions
- Representation of The Running Specialty Group, a privately held running retailer holding company, in its acquisitions of independent running specialty retailers
- Representation of Stapleton Acquisition Company, a privately held commercial property holding company, in its take-private of SonomaWest Holdings
- Representation of sponsors, developers and investors in the hospitality and real estate industries in connection with structuring and implementing joint venture arrangements
Financing & Securities
- Representation of Glowpoint, Inc., a publicly traded provider of video collaboration services and network solutions, in an at-the-market offering
- Representation of EverWest Real Estate Partners, a privately held real estate investment and operating company, in private placements of equity securities
- Representation of Grassland Water Solutions, a privately held provider of freshwater for oil and gas exploration, in connection with its senior secured credit facility and subordinated credit facility
- Representation of PRE Resources, a privately held oil and gas exploration and production company, in connection with a private equity investment in the company
University of Wisconsin, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Harvard University, B.A., cum laude, 2001